17 November 2009

Riding with the Black Dog

I have struck a dark patch of depression about my riding. The last couple of times that I have ridden, I have ended up feeling hopeless, useless and tearful. I don't feel like I have improved over the past few years and wonder why I bother? My horse is clearly unhappy - doesn't want to be caught, sidles away from the saddle and just isn't moving straight. I can't sort my trot diagonals out and it is a crapshoot what canter lead we get.

I don't know why this has happened, but as I have a lesson this afternoon, will have a heart to heart with my coach. Maybe it is time to give it a rest and just do some other things for a while?

EDITED: It occured to me that this is a great place to note the work we do.
Monday 16th - 20 mins flat work (not successful- wrong bend, resistant)
45 mins roadwork - maniacal. Longlands/Riverslea/Davis/Norton roads. Flat out trot, broke to canter, spooky. Also met new llama neighbours!

2 comments:

  1. Thats no good that you are having some problems with your riding. Will it make you feel better to know that Kate always runs away from being caught- always! Riding is a really really difficult sport and it's really easy to get stuck in a rut, I hope with the help of your coach you see your way out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beckz. I'm not sure that hearing that Kate is hard to catch is that inspiring! I find that Possum is only like that when she's trying to tell me something hurts. Maybe it is due to them being mares? My gelding practically falls into his halter.
    I did get some encouragement from coach, and let's face it, what would I do with my money if I didn't have horses?

    ReplyDelete