03 November 2009

Melbourne Cup day

Such a weird thing. This whole country is waiting for a horse race at 5 o'clock.

We have a young German woman working with us on her working holiday. I was trying to explain to her this morning why we were all so interested in a race in Australia.

Hard to say really. But lots of "our" horses have won the Cup over the years. Even if they were only bred here, and now have foreign owners/trainers/passports. If they win, we proudly declare them Kiwis!!!

The same phenomenon applies to musicians/celebrities. Except for Russell Crowe - the Aussies can keep that one.

I am absolutely hopeless at picking the Melbourne Cup winner - the best results usually come from the office sweepstake. And there aren't enough people in my office to run one. So I will vote for Daffodil ('cos she's a Kiwi mare) and Zavite (because of Zabeel/Sir Tristram lines) and Cape Cover (no reason, but Kiwi!).

Results after 5 pm.


EDIT - Melbourne Cup results First: Shocked, Second: Crime Scene and Third: Mourilyan. See - don't let me pick your horses!

No comments:

Post a Comment