This Saturday I will be attending a course on barefoot trimming.
I have been trimming Possum for about a year, but still don't know much. I have had some training and have a great trimmer who I see occasionally. But most of it is up to me.
Interestingly, there is an interest growing here in barefoot. People have been asking me for help - Yikes! I would hate to put anyone wrong and don't think I could be much help as I am still very much a beginner.
But one of the locals has organised a course that will cover anatomy, practical aspects and all the rest. I am really looking forward to it, if only for the opportunity to meet some like-minded horse folk. Hopefully we will have some cadaver legs to trim and dissect. I know that is awful as that is someone's horse lying dead, but at least they did something for the benefit of other horses? I am very brave now, but the reality might be different. It has been a few years *cough*decades* since I did zoology and I might not feel the same now.
I might be able to post some gory photos of the dissection...
Watch this space!
3 years ago


Most of my horses over the past few years have all been bare foot trimmed with great results. Its awesome to see there feet firm up to a point where they manage with out shoes. I'm going to try Trix this summer but she does have shocking feet and all white. So we will have to start with hinds bare first and see how we go. Have fun learning more
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to hearing about that! It sounds very interesting.
ReplyDeleteSally - the interesting thing is all hooves are white underneath! Just some have a black layer. It is all a myth that white feet are softer. Give it a try and see!
ReplyDelete