We were entered for the Havelock North Pony Club ODE on Sunday. This has a great little cross country course, complete with a little gully so you aren't just on the flat. This is a bit of a problem in Hawkes Bay, we are a bit short of hills. It is great fun, even if the Pony Club kids sometimes need a smack. There is quite a group of us older ladies who compete at this level and we all cheer each other on and commiserate if necessary.
Anyway I had just put us in the Intro Horse class which is only 65 cm jumps because P is so weird about jumping at the moment. If we could do a half-way decent dressage test, we could be in the prizes as there aren't many that go double clear at this level. Not that I was pot hunting, but it would be a confidence boost to actually complete something this season.
After much soul searching, and stressing, I decided to scratch our entry on the Thursday night. I rode Possum and popped her over some little jumps at home. She is still slightly uneven, not really lame or anything you can put your finger on, just a bit odd especially on the diagonal that has the sticky hock. She seemed to jump happily enough, tanking off and showing enthusiasm and a tendency to stay on her favourite canter leg. But she wasn't picking her hind end up very well and touched a few poles. I had to admit it wouldn't be fair to her to push her round a day at an ODE.
So we scratched and I might get my entry fee back, which would be nice. That can go towards a vet visit. I have made an appointment with our local holistic vet who in addition to the conventional, also offers alternative treatments. She is a real character and her visits are always entertaining if nothing else. I hope she might be able to shed some light on what is going on with my girl...
On the ovary front, no progress as the vet I really need to talk to is on holiday. He is the local expert on reproductive matters and so we will have to wait. I guess her next season will tell us something. Will keep you informed.
3 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment