This past weekend I went to watch some of my friends ride at one of the local sports. This is a small local show open to all, usually run by the local Pony Club, Hunt and residents. They typically have flat/show classes, show jumping, show hunter and games for the kids. It's a great way to introduce yourself or horse to show atmosphere and they have a very friendly, low-key feeling.
They also have small jumps for those of us who prefer them that way. So last year, Possum and I did show hunter and show jumping at 80 cm and had a ball. Unfortunately everyone and their dog is there with young horses, so your chances of placing are slim to none. But it means you get to ride against former Olympic riders - can't imagine that happening in other places or even other sports. It is just terrifying to sit at the side of the ring and watch them though!!! I think I did better than some of the pro riders and did a double clear SJ round, so that was enough for us.
But this year, I was there on foot, feeling a bit sad and lost. It wasn't much consolation when my friends didn't have great days with their showing.
Someone was trying to give away a thoroughbred - I was interested until I heard it is 16.3 hh! Yikes! I don't care if it can jump a metre 30, that's way too tall for me. I am quietly looking around for another horse, especially one I can take out competing now, because I miss it. I do so love the jumping...
3 years ago


I can totally understand why you left Taranaki .....its so wet!!!!. My husband is from HB. We had thought of moving at one stage.
ReplyDelete16.3 hh yes thats big!!. Too big for me too. There are some nice horses in the latest trader