
My Possum is a dark bay mare about 18 years old. One of the dentists said some of her teeth look as if she were 20 and since I don't know much about her, that could be true.
She is what we call here in New Zealand a "stationbred" horse, which means a horse of no particular breeding, bred on a large farm or station as a working horse. There are several well regarded lines from around the country, St James in the South Island being one of the most famous. One of their horses, Vincent St James is a Grand Prix dressage horse who won several national titles. A stationbred horse is typically sturdy with good bone, a sensible nature and usually the ability to jump. That sums up this girl, a classic "good doer" despite years of rough life with badly fitting gear, ad hoc worming, eating blackberry and no dental treatment till she was 15.
Now she has a more pampered life. She has two vets, a dentist, physiotherapist, acupunturist, chiropracter and a barefoot trimmer. It has been suggested that maybe her owner is slightly OCD, but I believe she deserves the best that I can offer her.
And, what else would I spend my money on?


No comments:
Post a Comment