Ahem.
I am back, if anyone is watching. Just got a bit distracted with work, and horse and well, stuff. I don't know how people manage to live such interesting, exciting lives and blog as well. Maybe they don't need to sleep?
Anyhoo, the competition season is starting to get interesting. So far we have done a couple of days of dressage, part of a show jumping series and schooled across country. And my calendar has got things for most weekends until Christmas.
But I am struggling with the realisation that my beloved Possum is not getting any younger. As far as I know she is now nineteen, but looking at her teeth, she might be in her twenties. I know she has had a fairly hard life before she came to Hawkes Bay, as a farm horse with minimal cosseting. So she has old scars, lumps and bumps, and is showing some stiffness in her hocks. One of the local vets diagnosed this as "non-specific rear-end lameness". Then charged me $95. Thanks, but I knew that already and was hoping for a bit more help!
I feed her all sorts of additives and supplements - everything from glucosamine, to Devil's Claw to hemp pellets (and no, it has no THC, just the omega oils that are of use). The latest one I have tried has hyaluronic acid which we think has been helpful in getting her moving better. And we've had a visit from the chiropracter this week which I am hopeful has made a big change. Certainly no-one has ever pointed out the damage to the inside of one thigh, and she was moving better after her adjustments.
Time will tell!


glad to hear you back blogging. Its loads of fun and if you keep up with it you get loads of feedback from all over the world from similar minded people offering their support. Its great for the moral and ego. Sounds like you are a pretty motivated person so stick at it with possum....maybe look at a youngster to bring on while you can still enjoy Possum (at a more laid back level)
ReplyDelete